Town Clerk/Tax Collector


Easy and Quick! 

Mailing Address

Town of Dalton, New Hampshire
756 Dalton Rd, Dalton NH 03598

Fax Line


Tax Collector 

(603) 837-9802
Hours: TUESDAY 1PM to 6PM and THURSDAY 7AM – 1PM

Town Clerk

(603) 837-2092
Hours: TUESDAY 1PM to 6PM and THURSDAY 7AM – 1PM

Please note office closures may take place due to holidays, training, illness, vacations, etc. Any closure will be posted on our CALENDAR page as well as at the municipal building, when possible.

Marriage Licenses

Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people. Any person who meets the eligibility requirements as outlined below may marry any other eligible person. Couples wishing to be joined in marriage within New Hampshire, may obtain a marriage license from any New Hampshire city/town clerk’s office.  The state-set fee for a marriage license is $50.

Required Documents

In order to obtain a marriage license, the couple must appear together in person to fully complete a marriage application worksheet.  Worksheets cannot be taken home or off-site to complete.  To accurately complete the worksheet, each person must present the following documents:

  • Government issued photo ID (Driver’s License, Non-Driver Identification, United States Passport)
  • Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Individuals having had legal name changes since birth and prior to marriage must provide a certified copy of the legal name change.
  • If either party was married previously, a certified copy of the document ending their most recent marriage is required.

Photocopies or faxes of required documents are not accepted.  Documents in languages other than English require a certified translation.

Required documents provide vital information and eliminate errors.  Errors or falsification can cause great hardship and may make either party liable for criminal prosecution.

Licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance for a ceremony performed  any place within the state of New Hampshire.

Vital Records

New Hampshire is a “Closed Record” State.  That means only certain individuals have access to birth, death, marriage or divorce records.  Access is granted to the individual the record belongs to, or their immediate family members. Immediate family members include:

  • Mother
  • Father
  • Spouse
  • Child
  • Sibling
  • Step Parent
  • Grandparents
  • Foster Parents
  • Aunt
  • Uncle

If you have questions about access to a vital record please contact the Town Clerk’s Office to discuss your circumstances.

Vital Records Availability
Over one million records have been added to the Statewide Vital Records Database by the State of New Hampshire. By doing this, the Department of Vital Records Administration has completed one of the most significant projects affecting all of the 234 city & town clerks that use the Statewide System.  City and town clerk’s across the State now have ready access to the following vital records:

• NH Birth records from: 1935 to the present (except 1949 and 1950)
• NH Death records from: 1965 to the present
• NH Marriage records from: 1960 to the present
• NH Divorce records from: 1979 to the present

Requesting certified copies in person:

  • Obtain copies of birth, death, or marriage records from our Town Clerk.
  • The charge is $15.00 for making a search.  (This includes payment for the issuance of a certified copy.)
  • Additional copies ordered at the same time for the same record are $10.00.
  • Be prepared to confirm your identity with photo identification.

Vital Record Application

Looking for help paying your taxes?

Taxpayer Assistance – Low and Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief

The Low & Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief program was designed to lessen the economic burden of the State Education Property Tax on certain at-risk taxpayers. This is a state administered program available to qualifying New Hampshire property taxpayers.

More information can be found at

RSA 198:57 to increase the income limitations for the receipt of a Low & Moderate Income Property Tax Relief award as well as the maximum amount of tax relief available to an awardee for property taxes assessed on or after April 1, 2021.

An eligible applicant for the Low and Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief is a person who is:

  • Single with adjusted gross income equal to or less than $37,000; or
  • Married or head of NH household with adjusted gross income less than or equal to $47,000; and
  • Owns a homestead subject to the State Education Property Tax; and
  • Has resided in that homestead on April 1 of the year for which the claim is made.

Applications for the Low and Moderate Income Homeowners Property Tax Relief are accepted only during the statutory filing period – after May 1, but no later than June 30. You can file your claim online at Granite Tax Connect by accessing the Apply for Low and Moderate Income Property Tax Relief link located on the Applications Panel. The law allows 120 days for processing from the date of receipt of your completed application.

For assistance, contact the Department at (603) 230-5920 – press prompt 2, then prompt 2 again.

Dog Licensing

Reminder that per NH law (RSA 466:1) requires that all dogs must be licensed annually. Every owner or keeper of a dog 4 months old or over shall license it in the city of town where the dog is kept. Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license shall be effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year.

Proof of current rabies vaccination is required before a license can be issued.

License Fees:
Unaltered Male or Female: $9.00
Neutered/Spayed Dog $6.50
Senior Citizen (1st dog only) $2.00
Puppy (up to seven months) $6.50
Group License (5 dogs or more) $20.00
Commercial License $20.00
Mail-in Fee (per dog) $1.00

Late fees will be assessed for any dog not licensed by the April 30th deadline.